Friday, February 24, 2012

Not Your Mother's Meatloaf

I can honestly say, I made meatloaf for the first time last week. This was a dish typical in my grandmother's home for "supper," and is nothing spectacular in my memory bank. For Jeremy, this was a dish typical at his mom's dinner table...with a side of buttery (really yummy!) potatoes, of course! With that said, meatloaf has never been a top recipe to try in our weekly meal plans.

Then, I came across this web site for working moms:  http://www.workitmom.com/, which featured a recipe for "A Little Bit of Heaven: Mini Meatloaf Wrapped in Bacon. Jeremy's family claims Bacon is nature's candy...so I knew I couldn't go wrong with this recipe!

I merged a couple of recipes to make the following Mini Meatloaf...


To make 5 (probably could've made six if I made th balls smaller) mini loafs:

Combine:
1/3 pound of ground beef
1/4 c. ketchup
1/4 c. water
1 egg
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 onion, chopped
dash of EVOO
dash of salt
dash of pepepr

Mix well, then add
1/4 plain bread crumbs
handful of shredded sharp cheddar
a dose of freshly chopped parlsey

Mix and then mold into little baseballs for the muffin pan (spray pan first)

Top meatloafs with sweet chili sauce (I mixed a 1/2 c ketchup with approximately 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 2 tbsp brown sugar), and cut up slices of raw bacon.

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, then broil for 2 minutes to crisp the bacon.

We served ours with a steamer bag of broccoli and parsley new potatoes.

As you can see from the photo - we made 5 and there was 1 remaining...which we shared. They were delicious and mini meatloaf will certainly make the weekly meal plan again!

No comments:

Post a Comment